Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Truss time again

Okay, so I'll make this one short as it was a one boat trip and we didn't get any photos. Dan and I had plans to take a run down the Little white on sunday. We had heard that it was on the rise but showed up and the gauge was out of the water, not a good sign. Since we were already out there we decided to take a quick solo run down the Truss.  The gauge at husom was at two feet, a bit low, but we decided to put in anyways. It turns out two feet is still plenty of water to make it a good raft run. We were worried about meatball but we took the left side chute, executed a nimble low side, and made it through without slowing down. At Big Brother, the center line was too good to pass up, even without safety. Dan unselfishly volunteered to hold a rope while I r1'd the beast. I had not run this one in the many times I have done the run so I was a bit apprehensive but it went super smooth. You can find pictures of the falls at the oregon kayaking website, White Salmon, Green Truss run.  Little Brother, Doulbe Drop and the Zig Zags went really smooth and we soon found ourselves at the top of BZ Falls. Now this drop has always scared me more than others on the Truss, as everything you read indicates that it is the most dangerous drop.  We were scouting and I didn't want to do it at first, but the more we talked about the line and looked at the drop, the better it looked.  We finally decided to run it, got a good head of steam in the lead in, and fired off the right side.  We caught the water coming off the left wall, got a little pushed into the right wall, and came rocketing out the bottom, it was awesome.  Overall it was one of the smoothest Truss runs I have had, which made it a good one for a no portage descent, even without safety.  Our lines more than made up for the sloppiness of Opal, and I feel a lot better about some of the harder stuff we have planned.  Also, it reaffirmed my love of that run. I have done it for 1.7 (in an IK) to 4 feet, and it is always fun, beautiful, and has the potential to go pretty damn big for a raft.

No comments:

Post a Comment